Thursday, January 10, 2008

Balance

Thought this space perfect for airing misgivings about the 5 year/$20,000 (?) committment I just made to IUPUI by starting the MLS program. I lament the loss of my free time*, which I could be spending learning about childhood development while the girls are still children, cooking and exploring food locally, reading!!, catching up with friends (new and old), gardening!!, keeping up on basic chores and household management (also trying to buy a house), sewing, making things for the girls to keep and use and love and pass on to whomever they please, sustainable living plans, 2.0 learning, etc. Nothing new here. You all know what I am talking about. Balance. Life. Just frustrated that I am now committed to giving up so much of what I have so little of (money and time) in order to be able to have more of the one ($) - though obviously education has more value in and of itself. Still thinking that at 30 (yes!), the things I want to learn may not be available in a class room- and certainly don't require loans (long term and low interest though they may be).

All that said (and guessing some of you are nodding along- and still others shaking angry fists at the screen- funny I thought only 2 people looked at this), I love my classes! Tee hee. Funny how that works out. Still working out the free time bit and personal growth.

*free time for me is precisely: Thurs eve 5-8, every other Fri 5-bedtime, every other Sat 6-bedtime, and every other Sun til 5ish. Weird segments without my children that I didn't have before the divorce and would rather not have if you know what I mean, but that I have been making the most of. Just hoping that having this time set aside means that homework and school stresses won't encroach on the precious few hours I do have with Zelle and Lena. Even if I will have to focus rather strongly to eek out time for Yoga, sewing, learning to knit, relearning Spanish, giving plasma, vacuuming, fixing the vaccuum, folding the laundry, fixing hems and holes- you know this balance thing is tricky!
But a lucky problem to have so many choices~

4 comments:

Lynn said...

I am so behind you, chica! If there's anything at all I can do to help with classes or whatever, please let me know!

Steve said...

Hang in there! When I did the library school thing I was about your age and working full-time too, but I can't imagine doing it with 2 kids added to the mix. As the guy said in Waterboy, "You can do it!"

Jen said...

I started to write this days ago, but was under the wrong login and too tired to change it: Please don't hesitate to let us know if there's anything we can do to help smooth out any rough spots.

Any of these things can make life busy. Lots of these things together can be a really full plate! Hopefully it'll be pleasantly full, like a plate at a potluck with friends. But if not, just give a yell!

Teresa said...

While this isn't really a comment regarding your post. I wanted to mention that I sent you an evite to the poetry event. It may have been marked as spam. Anyway, it's to be held Sunday, March 2. I can't recall if I wrote 2 or 2:30, so aim for 2:15.

Just jot me a comment and I'll send you directions via a regular email although the filter might still spam it out. Hmmm. I guess you'll have to sift through your junk. Sorry about that.